Main priority is to de-escalate U.S.-Iran tensions: France foreign minister

Iran responsible for Aramco attack UK's Johnson says

Iran responsible for Aramco attack UK's Johnson says

"We think it very likely indeed that Iran was indeed responsible", Johnson told reporters on the plane to the United Nations General Assembly in NY.

During a trip organized by Saudi information ministry, workers fix the damage in Aramco's oil separator at processing facility after the recent September 14 attack in Abqaiq, near Dammam in the Kingdom's Eastern Province, September 20, 2019.

"Americans are sanctioning institutions that have already been blacklisted".

"But a layered system of defensive capabilities would mitigate the risk of swarms of drones or other attacks that may come from Iran".

Yemen's Houthi rebel group initially claimed responsibility for the attack, but the USA has since then blamed Iran, as has Saudi Arabia.

But Rouhani said the situation had become "instense" in the region and blamed it on Washington.

If they are truly after establishing security in the region, they must stop delivering risky weapons, fighters and bombs to the region, said Rouhani, referring to the United States.

He added that Iran would be presenting to the United Nations a regional cooperation plan for peace.

French President Emmanuel Macron is due to meet British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and German Chancellor Angela Merkel, whose countries are also parties to the nuclear deal, on Monday, as well as Trump and Rouhani.

Form for signing up for free newsletter. "The farther you keep yourselves from our region and our nations, the more security there will be for our region.", said the Iranian president.

Although Rouhani had refused to meet with the United States president even before the attacks on the Saudi oil facilities, Trump had apparently held out hope of having a meeting similar to the one he had previous year with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

The Pentagon announced on Friday it would send additional USA troops and missile defence equipment to Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates as part of a "defensive" deployment.

In the wake of that, a United States drone was shot down over the Strait of Hormuz in June.

"But make no mistake about it, if we're unsuccessful in that and Iran continues to strike out in this way, I am confident that President Trump will make the decisions necessary to achieve our objectives". "We will consider in what way we could be useful, if asked, depending on what the exact plan is".

Iraq also distanced itself from the attack and said that it did not originate from its territory.

There are also doubts over how fast Saudi Arabia can get back to full output after last weekend's attack, according to Reuters.

The US has accused Iran of harassing shipping in the Persian Gulf and of shooting down an unmanned US surveillance drone in June.