Iran warns US of response to any action over Saudi attack

A tanker of foreign oil prepares to unload at the port of Ningbo East China's Zhejiang province on May 15

A tanker of foreign oil prepares to unload at the port of Ningbo East China's Zhejiang province on May 15

"This is the kind of weapon the Iranian regime and the Iranian IRGC are using against the civilian object and facilities infrastructure", he said, using an acronym for Iran's paramilitary Revolutionary Guard.

The move comes in response to Iran's alleged attacks on Saudi oil fields, and as the president's confidants advocate war.

While one Saudi security analyst said the attack "is like September 11 for Saudi Arabia, it is a game changer".

The kingdom wants "proof based on professionalism and internationally recognised standards", he said.

This is interesting and somewhat surprising: on Monday, a spokesman for the Saudi-UAE coalition fighting the Iran-affiliated Houthis in Yemen said "The preliminary results show that the weapons are Iranian and we are now working to determine the location".

Yemen's Iran-aligned Houthi group, which is battling a Saudi-led coalition in Yemen, claimed responsibility for the attacks on Saturday on sites run by state-owned Saudi Aramco.

This appeared to nix remaining hopes for a dramatic meeting between Trump and Iranian President Hassan Rouhani at the United Nations next week.

"I think it's hard to rule out military action".

The price of oil fell back further on Wednesday after the Saudi government said half of production that was knocked out by an attack over the weekend had already had been restored.

A Saudi military officer walks next to what is described as a misfired Iranian cruise missile used in an attack on Saudi Arabia's oil industry. "It's not possible", the official said.

Yemen had been torn apart by Civil War since 2015.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo is scheduled to arrive in the Saudi city of Jeddah shortly afterwards, and will talk to reporters during a joint press conference with Saudi foreign minister Adel al-Jubeir.

"I certainly hope we're not (going to have another war)", Riyadh's ambassador to London Prince Khalid Bin Bandar told the BBC in an interview.

While Trump initially said the U.S.is "locked and loaded" to respond, he has since signalled that he isn't eager for another Middle East conflict.

Speaking in Washington, a senior United States administration official told reporters: "The Houthis claim that they attacked Saudi with 10 drones".

During a Monday meeting with his national security team, Trump discussed potential military and non-military responses to the attack including new sanctions, according to senior administration officials.

Trump began that campaign after unilaterally pulling out of a 2015 global deal meant to reward Iran for allowing restrictions on its nuclear industry.

US Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Iran continues to violate global norms and has chosen to promote instability and danger throughout the region.

Graham took to Twitter on Tuesday to call Trump's prior restraint on Iran "a sign of weakness".