Escaped Inmate Captured in Tennessee After 4-Day Manhunt

Tennessee inmate escapes from prison where a top official was found dead

Tennessee inmate escapes from prison where a top official was found dead

An "extremely dangerous" escaped inmate accused of murdering a prison administrator was captured in Tennessee after four days on the run, authorities said Sunday.

Curtis Watson surrendered without incident several hours after law enforcement received a tip about his whereabouts in the West Tennessee town of Henning.

Rewards totalling $57,000 were offered for information leading to Watson's arrest.

Watson was apprehended at 11 Henning, where the West Tennessee State Penitentiary he escaped from on Wednesday is located, the department said in a statement. Authorities say Johnson was found deceased in the house with a cord around her neck.

They say prison officials realized he was missing around 11 AM.

Curtis Ray Watson, 44, was caught on Sunday, hours after a confirmed sighting by a resident who saw him on his property in Henning.

Authorities said that Watson was working as a farm laborer and apparently used a tractor in his escape from the facility.

Watson had been serving a 15-year sentence after pleading guilty to especially aggravated kidnapping in Henry County.

The Tennesse Bureau of Investigation stated they were sending a representative to the town and would be providing updates throughout the day.

Lauderdale County District Attorney Mark Davidson said Watson will be arraigned this week on charges of first-degree murder, especially aggravated burglary, aggravated sexual battery and escape.

Harvey Taylor said he and his wife Ann were asleep in their home around 3:30 a.m. when they were awakened by their outdoor security alarm.

Parker said Watson had no disciplinary issues since 2007 and was a minimal custody offender.

Authorities believe Johnson, 64, was killed and Watson is a suspect in her death.

His sentence began in 2012, and he was scheduled to be released in 2025. Those with trail or property surveillance cameras should check those. He previously was in prison for aggravated child abuse and was released in 2011.

Johnson, the slain administrator, had been a state employee for 38 years.