Rare Brain-Eating Amoeba Kills Swimmer At Water Park

Man Dies After Getting Infected by Rare Brain Eating Ameoba in Water Park

Man Dies After Getting Infected by Rare Brain Eating Ameoba in Water Park

According to health officials, the individual became ill after swimming in Fantasy Lake Water Park in Cumberland County on July 12, 2019. He died less than two weeks later, on July 22.

The amoeba does not occur in saltwater, and health experts say there is no way to eliminate it from fresh water ponds and lakes.

It can be fatal if forced up the nose as the parasite makes its way to through the nose and up the brain, where it gradually destroys the surrounding tissue.

"Our church family is deeply saddened by this loss and our prayers are with the family in this time of grief", said Rev. Justin Lowe, the pastor at Gray's church, in a statement to the Charlotte Observer. "He spent his spare time kayaking, camping, hunting, fishing, NASCAR, and spending time with his wife as they loved on their grandchildren".

His funeral will be held on Sunday.

Fantasy Lake Water Park, which centers on a 6-acre, man-made lake, did not immediately respond to a request for comment Thursday evening.

N. fowleri travels to the brain via the olfactory nerve and passes through a porous bone between the sinuses and the brain, where it breaks down nerve cells.

This causes the brain to swell, causing symptoms including vomiting, delirium and seizures. Man Dies After He Inhales Deadly Brain-Eating Amoeba at a Water Park. Particularly, Naegleria fowleri is of common occurrence in warm bodies of water, but infections are rare. Additionally, the amoeba is not found in salt water. It's also known as brain-eating amoeba. This amoeba can cause severe illness up to nine days after exposure. Such deaths are rare; state officials said there have been 145 confirmed cases, total, in the US.

"People should be aware that this organism is present in warm freshwater lakes, rivers and hot springs across North Carolina", Dr Moore said.

It usually infects people when contaminated water enters the body through the nose. This usually happens when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places.

"Very rarely, infections have been reported when people submerge their heads or get water up their nose, cleanse their noses during religious practices, or irrigate their sinuses (nose) using contaminated tap or faucet water".

Noticias recomendada