Sudan general says coup attempt foiled

Thousands demonstrate in Sudan to mark 40 days since deadly crackdown

Thousands demonstrate in Sudan to mark 40 days since deadly crackdown

Thousands of Sudanese protesters rallied across the country including in the capital on Saturday to mourn dozens of demonstrators killed last month in a brutal raid on a Khartoum sit-in, witnesses said.

Sudan's ruling transitional military has foiled a "coup attempt" aimed at "blocking the deal" with opposition representatives.

The tension between the military leaders who took power in the country and opposition forces escalated after a bloody raid on the sit-in near the army headquarters in Khartoum, killing a number of protesters and injuring hundreds on June 3. Authorities, however, put the death toll at 61, including three security force members.

The AU's Mohammed el-Hassan Labat made the announcement Friday.

The marches mark 40 days since the dispersal of the pro-democracy protesters' sit-in in outside military headquarters in Khartoum on June 3.

Rasha Awad, editor of the online Sudanese newspaper Altaghyeer, said the military council's actions will determine what happens next.

"Their demands are clear, which are a civilian government, a democratic state, which is a people that calls for justice and peace and love". Thousands also turned out in Wad Madani, capital of Jazeera state, while others protested in Port Sudan, capital of Red Sea state, and Al-Ubayyid, capital of North Kordofan.

The announcement of the failed coup attempt came at a time when legal advisers to the military and protesters leaders were discussing the details of the agreement between the two sides at a hotel in Khartoum.

In Khartoum's twin city of Omdurman, hundreds demonstrated on al-Arbaeen Street, a major artery.

At least 11 people were killed in clashes with security forces, according the organisers.

The deal includes a joint Sovereign Council, set to rule for a little over three years while elections are organised, along with a constitutional declaration, according to a copy of the deal obtained by The Associated Press.

He vowed to move forward to sign the power sharing agreement and for its implementation.

A military leader is to head the council for the first 21 months, followed by a civilian leader for the next 18.

They also agreed to delay the establishment of a legislative council until the sovereignty council and the civilian government are established.

Six vehicles belonging to the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), each carrying about six men armed with assault rifles and sticks, drove through a portion of Sitteen Street as protesters chanted "Civilian!" at them, a Reuters witness said. The two sides also agreed on an independent Sudanese investigation into the deadly crackdown, but the details have yet to be worked out.