American Scientist Suzanne Eaton Was Asphyxiated, Body Found In Abandoned WWII Bunker

Suzanne Eaton went missing July 2 on the Greece island of Crete

Suzanne Eaton went missing July 2 on the Greece island of Crete

Eaton's body was located about 200 feet from the entrance to the bunker, "bruised" and covered in burlap, according to the Greek Reporter.

The wounds were described as "defensive" in nature. Forensic pathologists on Wednesday said that she had been killed, whereas police later announced that death was by asphyxiation.

Eaton's mother, Glynda, also wrote movingly of her daughter and the keen intelligence she showed "right after she was born-stuffed into a red Christmas stocking, Dec 23".

The body of a USA scientist was found in a Nazi bunker on the Greek island of Crete, police said. "It is not like in a shooting".

There is an ongoing homicide investigation being led by the police in Crete, which has taken comprehensive measures to ensure that the responsible party or parties will be brought to justice.

A murder inquiry has been launched by the authorities in Crete of the American scientist Suzanne Eaton who was discovered in a cave used as a Nazi bunker during World War II.

Eaton, who was on the island for a scientific conference, is believed to have gone for a run near her hotel almost two weeks ago when she went missing. "After walking through tunnels and rambling routes, we finally arrived" at Eaton's body. They say they have broadened their investigation to search for farmhouses and other remote buildings where the attacker might have held Eaton before transferring her to the tunnels.

Suzanne Eaton, a 59-year-old molecular biologist at the Max Planck Institute in Germany, was found dead late Monday in the town of Chania in Crete, about five miles from where she disappeared while attending a conference, authorities said.

Greek police have not confirmed whether they are questioning possible suspects, but said they have collected DNA samples from some people. She had a black belt in Taekwondo and had visited many countries as part of her scientific career.

Her family initially believed Eaton, a regular runner, likely died during a run as a result of heat exhaustion or a fall in the rough terrain.

Her remains will be returned to the United States for burial.