Intruder breaks into Buckingham Palace while the Queen sleeps



The scare happened at 2 a.m. on Wednesday, July 10, when a 22-year-old man scaled the front gates of Buckingham Palace and was loose on the grounds until he was arrested by the Queen's Royalty and Specialist Protection Command officers, according to The Sun.

The man had successfully scaled the gates before being caught at around 2am on Wednesday morning, police confirmed, and has been arrested on suspicion of trespass.

The incident is not being treated as terror-related, with the man remaining in custody at a central London police station.

There were apparently fears the man was attempting a copycat operation to Michael Fagan who famously broke into the Queen's bedroom nearly 37 years ago to the day.

The royal family had a shock last night when a man intruded Buckingham Palace while Queen Elizabeth was sleeping.

"The police eventually detained him under the mental health act, but they have to ask some serious questions about how he got on and how he had so long to roam free", the source says.

The Queen had spent the day carrying out engagements in Cambridge before returning to the palace. "The Queen's safety should be paramount".

The Queen, 93, is reportedly due to be informed about the incident.

"But everyone knows the Queen was there because the Royal Standard was flying".

This isn't the first time a member of the public has got too close to the Queen for comfort.

The latest security breach, one of several, comes almost 37 years to the day when unemployed labourer Fagan broke into Her Majesty's bedroom on July 9, 1982.

The weird conversation saw the 31-year-old schizophrenic tell the Queen about his family problems.

Michael Fagan was able to break into the palace in 1982.

During the incident Fagan smashed a large glass ashtray and threatened to slash his wrists.

During the chat the Queen pushed the panic button by her bed but got no response, and it wasn't until her aide Paul Whybrew retruend with her corgis that he saw Fagan.