Why Google can't dismiss Huawei OS threat

Tencent, Xiaomi, Oppo Reportedly Testing Huawei’s HongMeng OS

Tencent, Xiaomi, Oppo Reportedly Testing Huawei’s HongMeng OS

Since then, the company has been racing to figure out how to deal with the US-led opposition which threatens to cut it off from parts suppliers to, arguably worst of all, Google - which means existing Huawei smartphones couldn't get Android updates or security fixes, and new Huawei smartphones would not have access to Android or the Google Play Store at all.

Huawei is working furiously to get its new operating system off the ground amid the serious threat that Google may sever all ties with the Chinese tech company.

The operating system reportedly going by the name Hongmeng OS (or ARK OS) will come as an alternative to Google's Android OS. It also filed an application in Peru on May 27, according to the country's anti-trust agency Indecopi.

Previously, Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei's consumer business, said that the HongMeng OS for the global market will be ready by the first half of 2020. The trademark descriptions reveal that HongMeng will be used for a range of devices from smartphones to tablets and PCs.

Information that made the rounds last month indicated that HongMeng could be finalized for Chinese devices as soon as this fall, whereas the worldwide debut could take place in 2020.

Williamson also claimed that he believes "it is already being rolled out over a million devices", and Reuters has reported that Huawei has filed "Hongmeng" trademarks in the European Union as well as multiple countries, including Canada, South Korea, New Zealand, Cambodia, and Peru.

Huawei has come under mounting scrutiny for over a year, led by United States allegations that "back doors" in its routers, switches and other gear could allow China to spy on USA communications.

Huawei's hopes to become the world's top-selling smartphone maker in the fourth quarter this year have now been delayed, a senior Huawei executive said this week. According to the company, it has around 270 million monthly active users on its self-operated AppGallery platform.

For the initial stages, Huawei is said to focus mainly on the budget smartphone segment with its own OS.

Furthermore, Huawei claims that, despite its efforts, Federal Commissioners have refused to meet with company representatives in order to explain the accusations of threatening national security, and the Chinese company is "therefore handicapped to respond".