CBS Defends Decision To Renew ‘Bull’ Following Lead Actor’s Sexual Misconduct Case

Michael Weatherly. Lamborghini with The Cinema Society Host a Special Screening of Marvel Studios' 'DOCTOR STRANGE', New York USA- 01 Nov 2016

Michael Weatherly. Lamborghini with The Cinema Society Host a Special Screening of Marvel Studios' 'DOCTOR STRANGE', New York USA- 01 Nov 2016

CBS defended its decision to renew the drama series "Bull" after settling a sexual harassment claim against its star Michael Weatherly, saying the actor "owned" and apologized for his on-set behavior toward actress Eliza Dushku.

According to a report in The New York Times, Weatherly made several inappropriate comments in Dushku's presence. "He was willing to take any kind of coaching or training we deem necessary for him to create a positive environment on the set", something that has taken place, Kahl said. According to the report, Dushku, 37, alleged Weatherly, 50, commented on her appearance, brought up a threesome, and made a rape joke in front of other cast and crew members.

In renewing Weatherly's series, CBS considered the actor's long tenure at the network, including more than a decade on "NCIS", Kahl said.

"He was apologetic at the time, and he was remorseful", said CBS Entertainment president Kelly Kahl.

"During the course of taping our show, I made some jokes mocking some lines in the script", Weatherly said in the statement to the publication.

Eliza Dushku stated that she was written off the show after making complaints about Michael Weatherly's behavior, which put an end to what had been intended as an arc as a series regular character, and CBS settled with Dushku with a sum that "reflects the projected amount that Ms. Dushku would have received for the balance of her contract as a series regular", and it was mutually agreed upon. "After reflecting on this further, I better understand that what I said was both not amusing and not appropriate and I am sorry and regret the pain this caused Eliza".

The news of Weatherly's misconduct against the actress during the show's second season did not sit well with fans.

"So, when we look at the totality of the situation, we felt comfortable bringing more back on the air", he told a news conference Wednesday to announce CBS' 2019-20 schedule. "He's been with us for 14 years". I believe he took everything seriously.

As for how CBS will move forward, Kahl said the network was doing its best to protect potential victims in the future, which includes setting up an anonymous phone line and email address for people to lodge complaints. "He's a dad, he's upset by this, he wants to make it better".