At least six killed in Alaska mid-air floatplane crash

At least six killed in Alaska mid-air floatplane crash

At least six killed in Alaska mid-air floatplane crash

Elsa Wilk, 37, who was from Richmond, B.C., but lived in Port Coquitlam, B.C., was named as one of six people killed after two sightseeing planes collided above open water in Alaska. It's unclear which plane carried the fourth victim, whose body was recovered during a Monday night search, Rios said.

The FAA and the National Transportation Safety Board are investigating the accident.

Investigators plan to recover the wreckage, speak with witnesses including the surviving pilot, and acquire additional data to determine "how the two planes came together", she said.

The crash occurred about 13 kilometres from Ketchikan, near George Inlet.

Mr Bodie's family described him as a "devoted father" who "wouldn't hurt a fly".

In June 2015, a pilot and eight passengers died when a de Havilland DHC-3 Otter operated by Promech Air Inc. crashed into mountainous terrain about 24 miles (39 kilometers) from Ketchikan.

He had been married to his wife Stephanie for 31 years, family told 9News, and had two children. The search for the two missing people, an Australian and a Canadian, continued as federal investigators began probing the cause of Monday's deadly crash.

The recovery of the planes' wreckage is underway.

"All of us at Princess Cruises are deeply saddened by this tragic news and we are extending our full support to the investigating authorities as well as the travelling companions of the guests involved", said company spokesman Brian O'Connor in a statement.

A total of 16 people were aboard the two planes - a de Havilland DHC-2 Beaver and a de Havilland Otter DHC-3 - when they collided over George Inlet near Ketchikan, the Alaska Daily News reported.

The Royal Princess cruise ship left Vancouver for Anchorage on Saturday and is scheduled to return on May 25.

After the crash, the 10 injured people were initially taken to a hospital in Ketchikan.

Emergency rescue operations were under way after the two aircraft carrying 14 passengers from the Royal Princess ship crashed near Ketchikan, a popular tourist spot on southern Alaskan cruise routes surrounded by fjords and dense forests.

The remaining patients at PeaceHealth Ketchikan Medical Center were in fair or good condition, according to Marty West, a spokeswoman for the hospital.

Four passengers and a pilot were killed, Princess Cruises said in a statement circulated by United States media.

Ketchikan-based Taquan Air operated the Otter, with 10 passengers and the pilot, while the company flying the Beaver has not yet been identified.

Global Affairs Canada did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the company's statement that the Canadian was among those missing. Floatplanes have pontoons mounted under the fuselage so they can land on water.

Royal Princess departed from Vancouver on May 11 for the seven-day voyage.

"At this time, we are in the midst of an active crisis response, and our focus is on assisting these passengers, the pilot, our staff, their families and loved ones and first responders", Taquan said in a statement.