Sri Lanka Catholics hold 1st Sunday Mass since attacks

Exclusive India to provide counter-terrorism warfare assistance says Sri Lankan army chief

Exclusive India to provide counter-terrorism warfare assistance says Sri Lankan army chief

Soldiers armed with automatic assault rifles guarded St Theresa's Church in Colombo's Thimbirigasyaya residential quarter, while members of the congregation were searched for explosives.

The Catholic Church in Sri Lanka held the major regular Sunday Mass since the Easter suicide bombings of church buildings and resorts killed extra than 250 folks.

Church authorities are furthermore mulling reopening church-stride colleges on Tuesday if they're going to even be elated with security. The church's sprawling auto park was kept empty as part of high-level security precautions.

In the aftermath of the eight suicide bombings on April 21, all churches in the island nation had been closed shut in fear of continued attacks on minorities.

The Cardinal conducted private Sunday services in the past two weeks, which were broadcast live on national television.

A Sri Lankan government soldier frisks devotees entering a Catholic church to attend Sunday Mass in Colombo, Sri Lanka, Sunday, May 12, 2019.

On Saturday, Cardinal Ranjith had celebrated a special Mass in Colombo's St. Lucia Cathedral, attended by survivors and relatives of victims.

It added that Aliyar was "involved" with training in the southern town of Hambantota for the group of suicide bombers who attacked hotels and churches.

At least 258 were killed and almost 500 people were wounded.

Footage shows many Catholics gathered outside the church preparing to go in for Sunday mass.

State-run schools - put at more than 10,000 across Sri Lanka - resumed class last week, also under police guard and with parking restrictions, but pupil attendances have reportedly been low.

The government blamed National Thowheeth Jama'ath (NTJ) for the bombings, banning the little-known group in a raft of emergency laws passed to deal with the attacks.

Sri Lanka's police say they have killed or arrested all the militants responsible for the bombings but attacks are still possible.

President Maithripala Sirisena has vowed to eliminate the NTJ militants and restore normality in the country which is still emerging from a 37-year Tamil separatist war that ended nearly a decade ago.