Facebook removed 1.5 million videos of NZ mosque attack

New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wants to discuss live-streaming with Facebook after mosque attacks

New Zealand PM Jacinda Ardern wants to discuss live-streaming with Facebook after mosque attacks

Saying there were "further questions to be answered" by the tech giants, Ardern said Facebook chief operating officer Sheryl Sandberg had been in contact and "acknowledged what has occurred here in New Zealand".

Ardern said there were "further questions to be answered" by the social media sites.

"Out of respect for the people affected by this tragedy and the concerns of local authorities, we're also removing all edited versions of the video that do not show graphic content", Garlick added.

She was asked at a press conference whether Facebook should stop live-streaming, and said it was an issue she would look to discuss directly with Facebook.

"We did as much as we could to remove, or seek to have removed, some of the footage that was being circulated in the aftermath of this terrorist attack", Ardern said.

But the stream, lasting 17 minutes, was shared repeatedly on YouTube and Twitter, and internet platforms were scrambling to remove videos being reposted of the gruesome scenes.

"Ultimately, though, it has been up to those platforms to facilitate their removal and support their removal". Facebook said it had deleted the gunman's accounts "shortly after the livestream commenced", after being alerted by police.

Facebook Inc said it removed 1.5 million videos globally of the New Zealand mosque attack in the first 24 hours after the attack.

"We continue to work around the clock to remove violating content using a combination of technology and people...", Mia Garlick, Facebook New Zealand, wrote in a tweet.

Ms Ardern was joined by Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison in expressing doubts that current rules go far enough.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern speaks with a woman during a visit to the Canterbury Refugee Centre in Christchurch, March 16, 2019. The live stream was available to watch on social media for hours after the attack, newshub.co.nz reported.

"Clearly, it hasn't (happened)", he noted.

In another case, the video was shared by a verified Instagram user in Indonesia with more than 1.6 million followers.