Saudi Arabia pursuing justice for #JamalKhashoggi murder, says rights official

Saudi Human Rights official: Brought perpetrators of Khashoggi murder to justice

Saudi Human Rights official: Brought perpetrators of Khashoggi murder to justice

Expressing Turkey's deep concerns about Bandar bin Mohammed Al Aiban's objection to an worldwide probe, Altun said they couldn't understand why a human rights official would refuse and be unsettled by efforts to bring the circumstances surrounding Khashoggi's death to light, especially after a united global call.

"Justice in the kingdom of Saudi Arabia operates pursuant to global law and it does so in all transparency", Mr.al-Aiban told the Geneva forum during a review of Saudi Arabia's rights record.

Saudi Arabia says those responsible for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi have been brought to justice.

Khashoggi was killed in the kingdom's Istanbul Consulate on October 2, 2018, by a team of 15 people consisting of Saudi officials who arrived in Turkey for his murder and a cover-up team also in charge of dismembering Khashoggi's body.

On Thursday, Aiban said the suspects had faced three hearings so far in Saudi Arabia with their lawyers present.

Saudi Human Rights official: Brought perpetrators of Khashoggi murder to justice

Mr al Aiban rebuffed recommendations made by a number of United Nations countries for steps to, as the UK requested, "ensure [a] comprehensive and transparent investigation", with, as Iceland suggested, "international experts" into the murder.

Aiban's statements come a week after a rare censure of Saudi Arabia by 36 countries demanding transparency into the Khashoggi investigation.

Khashoggi's death sparked worldwide outrage and focused a global spotlight on the crown prince. Riyadh initially denied any knowledge of the killing, but later blamed rogue agents for Khashoggi's death.

Aiban insisted that his country was "horrified by what has happened pursuant to this unfortunate accident". More than a month after his death, the Central Intelligence Agency concluded Salman ordered Khashoggi's death.

The human rights review coincided with reports from Yemeni military officials that the Saudi-led coalition launched airstrikes which mistakenly killed and wounded forces allied with the government, who the coalition support. "The person who ordered this operation is still safe and he is still leading the country", Assiri said, referring to Salman.