Indonesia recovers Lion Air jet's cockpit voice recorder

Growing questions have been raised about the Lion Air plane’s previous flight

Growing questions have been raised about the Lion Air plane’s previous flight

The cockpit voice recorder from an Indonesian Lion Air jet that crashed in October has been recovered, officials said Monday, a discovery that could be critical to explaining why a brand new plane fell out of the sky just after take-off.

The bright orange voice recorder was discovered about 10 metres from the plane's data recorder, said Isswarto, the commander of the navy's Lion Air search and rescue task force.

The device is being transported to a navy port in Jakarta and will be handed over to the National Transportation Safety Committee, which is overseeing the accident investigation.

He added that the recorder had "obvious scratches on it", but that it was unclear what damage it had suffered.

The family of one of the pilots, 41-year-old Harvino, has sued Boeing Chicago, alleging that aircraft sensors provided inaccurate information, causing the plane to nosedive, and that Boeing failed to provide proper training to pilots on the 737 MAX 8's features.

Flight JT610 was lost 13 minutes after taking off from the capital Jakarta en route to the tin-mining town of Pangkal Pinang on October 29.

Investigators say the plane had encountered technical problems, with the black box expected to reveal more about what happened.

The other black box, the flight data recorder, was recovered three days after the crash.

The Lion Air crash was the worst airline disaster in Indonesia since 1997, when 234 people died on a Garuda flight near Medan.

Separately, Colonel Johan Wahyudi told Metro TV the recorder had been retrieved and taken aboard the ship.

The preliminary crash report from Indonesia's transport safety agency suggested that pilots of Flight 610 struggled to control the plane's anti-stalling system immediately before the crash.

Investigators said Lion Air kept putting the plane back into service despite repeatedly failing to fix a problem with the airspeed indicator, including on its second-last flight from Bali to Jakarta.