Woman dies after plunging off cruise ship after alleged fight with husband

Woman 'choked and thrown off top deck of Royal Princess after row in ship's casino'

Woman 'choked and thrown off top deck of Royal Princess after row in ship's casino'

A woman has died after she was allegedly thrown from the top deck of a cruise ship severing her leg.

It was a gruesome scene as eyewitnesses said that one of the woman's legs was torn off in her fall.

The victim's partner, an American man described as "muscular" was escorted from the cruise by police on Tuesday.

The couple, both thought to be American, were seen arguing in the ship's casino, on the lido deck on the 16th floor, at around 10.30pm on Thursday.

A spokesman for Aruban prosecutors said he was the woman's partner and that her death was being treated as "unnatural".

The Royal Princess had embarked on an eight-day cruise around the Caribbean on November 9 and returned to Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on Saturday. I never would expect that it would happen on vacation'.

A second source added: 'We can literally see the lifeboat from our room. No arrests have been made yet.

"It was two passengers, they had a row in the casino that night".

'The gossip on board is rife. "We were all woken at 4:30 a.m.by a security alert by the captain". Blood and broken glass all over it'.

Another passenger claimed: "Ten police officers came aboard". The announcement was a criminal investigation was to be conducted'.

Princess Cruises said: "Princess Cruises can confirm that a 52-year-old American female guest passed away early yesterday morning aboard Royal Princess as the ship was en route to Aruba". The statement says local authorities met the ship when it arrived in Aruba and cruise officials are cooperating with investigators. The cause of death is not yet known at this time.

The Royal Princess was launched in Southampton in 2013 by the Duchess of Cambridge, who christened it and became its "godmother". In a statement to CBS News, Princess Cruises said, "we are deeply saddened by this incident and offer our honest condolences to the family and those affected".