Did Couple and Homeless Veteran Use GoFundMe to Scam Contributors?

FILE Johnny Bobbitt left with couple Kate Mc Clure and Mark D'Amico

FILE Johnny Bobbitt left with couple Kate Mc Clure and Mark D'Amico

"Unfortunately it was. The entire campaign was predicated on a lie".

"He is our family", McClure said.

From left, Jonny Bobbitt Jr, Mark D'Amico and Kate McClure. They also used it at casinos, he said.

The heartstring-tugging tale worked, as donations started pouring in for Bobbitt, with the viral campaign's haul eventually blowing past $400,000. "He walked up and he said, 'Get back in the vehicle".

The NBC affiliate reported that the trio could face charges of conspiracy and theft by deception.

Investigators claimed the three originally made up the story to make people feel bad and compel donors to contribute to a cause. Kate McClure, a New Jersey woman, ran out of gas on an interstate ramp outside of Philadelphia. He said he had given her the last of his money. I didn't think anything about it. McClure and D'Amico have already turned themselves in.

Bobbitt was arrested Wednesday night by USA marshals in Philadelphia and remained in custody Thursday on probation detainers and a $50,000 bond. The charges carry prison time of up to five to 10 years.

Later that month, GoFundMe told KYW that it was working to ensure that Bobbitt received the money raised for him. "We are fully cooperating and assisting law enforcement officials to recover every dollar withdrawn by Ms. McClure and Mr. D'Amico".

While this type of behavior by an individual is extremely rare, it's unacceptable and clearly it has consequences. Campaigns with misuse make up less than one tenth of one percent of all campaigns. "It's simply standard policy to remove fraudulent campaigns from the platform", Whithorne says.

The fraud didn't stop with the GoFundMe page.

D'Amico said that he had been controlling Bobbitt's money and said that he would dole out more funds when Bobbitt got a job and quit using drugs.

But questions about the money soon followed.

Bobbitt accused the couple of dipping into the funds for personal expenses and sued them over mismanagement. Bobbitt didn't spot her in trouble and give her money.

A lawyer for the couple initially said that only $150,000 of the initial $401,921 remained. Bobbitt's attorney, Christopher Fallon Jr., did not immediately respond to our request for comment.

Coffina said it was that public interest that prompted him to investigate further, ultimately raiding the couple's home and learning of the ruse, according to local outlets. The campaign then took off and attracted plenty of media attention.

And when D'Amico appeared in court on unrelated traffic charges in September, he told a reporter that everything in the GoFundMe case would soon become 'crystal clear'.