Melbourne stabbings being treated as terror attack by Australian police

Major Incident Unfolding In Melbourne CBD Involving Car That “Exploded”

Major Incident Unfolding In Melbourne CBD Involving Car That “Exploded”

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA-A knife-wielding man stabbed three people, one fatally, in Australia's second-largest city on Friday in an attack police linked to terrorism.

Victoria Police is treating a stabbing attack in Bourke Street, Melbourne, that killed one man and injured two as a terrorist attack.

Police initially responded to a report of a auto on fire near the corner of Swanston Street about 4.20pm.

Police responded to the scene on Bourke Street after receiving reports of a vehicle on fire, Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton told reporters shortly after the incident.

Commissioner Ashton did not name the man who lunged at police with a knife before he was shot by police and later died at the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

The investigation is still in its early stages, but Ashton said police do not believe there is a "ongoing threat".

Police said the man got out of a vehicle, which then caught fire, and attacked three bystanders with a knife before being shot by police.

The area is cordoned off and people are asked to avoid the area.

"Trolley Man, the hero Australia needs", one woman said on Twitter shortly after a series of videos of the attack began to circulate online.

Police appear to fire a single shot at the man before he falls to the ground just as more onlookers attempt to encircle the man, one male brandishing what appears to be a hubcap and another with a shopping trolley.

Officers said they were initially called to a auto fire around 4:20pm (AEDT).

"There is no known links to terrorism at this stage".

The man has been arrested and is under police guard in hospital.

"In the midst of tragedy, you can find such pride in the work of by-standers to come to the aid of others", said Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews.

At least two members of the public bravely tried to help police.

Premier Daniel Andrews described today's incident as "an evil and bad thing" and condemned it.

"Because he was on his stomach, they turned him over to see if he's all right, he was still alive", the witness, Markel Villasin, told Australian Associated Press.

"It's the center of Melbourne, where a lot of the transportation changes's probably the busiest part of Melbourne and late on a Friday", said Meegan May who witnessed part incident from a nearby tram.