Cristiano Ronaldo's lawyer says allegation of rape is 'a complete fabrication'

Cristiano Ronaldo

Cristiano Ronaldo

"What happened was simply that Cristiano Ronaldo merely followed the advice of his advisers in order to put an end to the insulting accusations made against him in order to avoid attempts, such as those now witnessed, to destroy a reputation built thanks to intense work, great athleticism and ethically impeccable behaviour".

Christiansen's statement went on to stress Ronaldo's innocence while again strongly criticising the reporting of the allegations facing the Portugal captain.

But the statement called it "absolutely deplorable that any media outlet would support or advance such an elaborate and deliberate defamation campaign based on stolen, easily manipulated digital documents".

Ronaldo has denied the accusations of rape against him, saying that he had a "clear conscience" as he awaits the conclusions of a USA police investigation.

A message left with the firm representing Mayorga by USA TODAY Sports was not immediately returned on Wednesday.

Ronaldo recently denied the allegations on Twitter, saying that "I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me".

A lawsuit filed September 27 in Nevada state court seeks to void the non-disclosure agreement that Mayorga's attorneys say she signed while accepting US$375,000 to keep quiet.

"The documents that allegedly contain statements by Mr Ronaldo and were reproduced in the media are pure inventions".

German publication Der Spiegel recently reported that an American woman by the name of Kathryn Mayorga had accused Ronaldo of sexual assault in 2009. Drohobyczer said previously that Mayorga never wanted her name made public but became anxious that she would be identified after a 2017 media report apparently referred to the encounter at the Palms Hotel and Casino.

Since she made her allegations, other women have also come forward to accuse the Portuguese forward of rape.

In 2010, she reportedly reached an out-of-court settlement with Ronaldo involving a $375,000 (£288,000) payment for agreeing never to go public with the allegations. Unfortunately, he now finds himself embroiled in the type of litigation that is all too commonplace in America.

He added material "irresponsibly published" from "stolen documents" included large sections which were "altered and/or completely fabricated".

Mr. Ronaldo will leave future discussion of any and all legal matters to his attorneys here and in Europe.

Ronaldo, 33, denies assaulting Kathryn Mayorga at a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.

"Cristiano Ronaldo has mandated his lawyers in the United States and Europe to deal with all legal aspects and expresses full confidence that the truth will prevail, despite the corruption of counter-information, and in which the laws of Nevada will be enforced and respected".