Boston Celtics' Jabari Bird charged with attacking his girlfriend

Jabari Bird

Jabari Bird

The hearing was held this morning, and according to TMZ Sports, "the allegations are horrifying".

Bird, a second-round pick out of California previous year, has been accused of assaulting his girlfriend over a period of several hours and strangling her to the point where she lost consciousness.

Former Maine Red Claws guard and current Celtics player Jabari Bird was arraigned in court on Monday after being arrested last Friday night following a domestic violence incident. The 24-year-old pleaded not guilty to charges of domestic assault, strangulation, and kidnapping on Thursday.

This report was originally published at 12:30 p.m. He was ordered to stay away from the victim and the campus of her college and was released after posting $50,000 bail. He was further instructed to remain in MA, with the exception that he can leave the state for his job.

At the arraignment, one of Bird's attorneys, Brian T. Kelly, said there are "always two sides" to incidents, but acknowledged his client understands the "seriousness of the allegations".

The Boston Celtics need to move on from Jabari Bird.

Bird also released a statement on Thursday.

"Most importantly, our thoughts are with the victim of this incident", the statement read. "Pursuant to Domestic Violence Policy in the NBA's labor agreement, matters of this kind are handled by the League Office, not the team, and so the Celtics will be working with both the league and local authorities to assist in their ongoing investigations".

The Celtics have acknowledged they know of Bird's arrest, but have declined further comment since the weekend. He is alleged to have dragged her away from the door by her ankles when she tried to escape. It's time to act.

The police report states the woman eventually took refuge in a bathroom, and when she came out, Bird was displaying "seizure-like symptoms".

According to CBS Boston, Bird violently attacked his girlfriend in her apartment over the course of several hours.

Bird was transferred Saturday to an undisclosed hospital for what police have called an "evaluation" that continued until Thursday when it appeared doctors treating him had concluded he was sufficently healthy to appear in court.