Tributes to homeless man who died metres from Parliament

Flowers and cards from Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and his staff

Flowers and cards from Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn and his staff

Jeremy Corbyn has paid a personal tribute to a homeless man who died while sleeping rough just metres from the Houses of Parliament.

It is understood that some members of Mr Corbyn's team were in touch with the man and would bring food for him.

He was found in the underpass of exit three of Westminster Underground station on Wednesday morning and pronounced dead at the scene, the Metropolitan Police said. One card accompanying a bunch of flowers had been left at the request of the Labour leader, Jeremy Corbyn, who had sent a message to be inscribed on his behalf, the Labour party confirmed.

Posting on Twitter, Mr Corbyn wrote: "I've just been told about the death of a rough sleeper right by the entrance to Parliament".

"The powerful can't carry on walking by on the other side while people don't have a home to call their own", he tweeted.

Ms Lewell-Buck wrote: "This totally breaks my heart, if it is who I think I and many other MPs have spoken to him and helped him out where we could".

Rough sleeping in England has increased for the seventh consecutive year, official government figures show.

Exit three at Westminster Underground station
Exit three at Westminster Underground station

Local authorities estimated there were around 4,751 rough sleepers on a single night in autumn 2017, according to data from the Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government - the highest number since comparable records began in 2010.

A spokesman for the London Ambulance Service said: "We were called at 7.16am today to Westminster Tube station, to reports of a man not breathing".

The man, whose name has not been released, was found in the underpass of a subway station for the Parliament building.

Scotland Yard said the man was pronounced dead at 7.33am, and that the incident is being treated as unexplained, but not suspicious.

"Sadly, despite resuscitation efforts, he died at the scene".

A House of Commons spokesman said: 'We are saddened to hear of the death of an individual this morning at Westminster Tube Station and offer our condolences to their friends and family at this hard time'.