Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Leaves 1 Dead, 5 Stricken on Moultrie Street

A carbon monoxide leak at a residential building in the Bernal Heights neighborhood of San Francisco killed one man and injured several residents Thursday morning

A carbon monoxide leak at a residential building in the Bernal Heights neighborhood of San Francisco killed one man and injured several residents Thursday morning

A carbon monoxide leak in a two-story residential structure in San Francisco's Bernal Heights neighborhood early Thursday has left one resident dead, a second in critical condition and four others recovering from exposure, authorities said.

At 4:26 a.m., the San Francisco Fire Department responded to a call at 301 Moultrie Street, near Eugenia Avenue, after a carbon monoxide detector went off in an upper unit of the building. A carbon monoxide alarm was going off in the residence.

"The residents in the upper unit heard their Carbon dioxide detector go off", said San Francisco Fire spokesman Jonathan Baxter. The elderly woman was also unconscious but taken to St. Francis Hospital. They forced entry, and found an elderly woman unconscious, Baxter said. Paramedics performed CPR on him for 45 minutes to no avail.

Firefighters are investigating what caused the carbon monoxide to be released. The Pacific Gas and Electric Company turned off the gas to the heater.