Fisherman saved after Dover Sole slips down his throat

Dover Sole

Dover Sole

The 28-year-old man was fishing in Dorset, England, when he chose to hold the 14 cm freshly caught fish over his mouth, reports the Guardian.

A man almost choked to death after a fish that he was playing with jumped up and got lodged in his throat. The unnamed man was given constant CPR and after six attempts to removed the flat fish, paramedics managed to get him breathing again.

They praised the angler's friends who had performed CPR before the arrival of emergency crews at about 23:00 BST on 5 October.

Initial assessment by paramedic Matt Harrison was that the patient had a blocked airway and was in cardiac arrest. "Initially, we didn't know the true extent of the situation or what the patient was choking on, but as we questioned them further we were told he had a whole fish stuck in his windpipe".

Despite attaching him to a ventilation machine, oxygen was still not entering his lungs and paramedics took six attempts to pull the fish from his throat by the tail.

"It was clear that we needed to get the fish out or this patient was not going to survive the short journey to Royal Bournemouth Hospital", Martyn Box from South Western Ambulance Service said. "I used a laryngoscope to fully extend the mouth and throat and saw what appeared like an altered color of tissue in his throat".

"I have never attended a more weird incident and don't think I ever will - but we're all so glad the patient has no lasting effects from his cardiac arrest, which could so easily have had such a tragic and devastating outcome". The fish broke free and became lodged in the man's throat.