Mexican driver Perez signs new 1-year deal with Force India

Sergio Perez to stay with Force India for 2018 F1 season

Sergio Perez to stay with Force India for 2018 F1 season

The 27-year-old, who had been in the frame for a Renault drive before the French team committed to Carlos Sainz, said staying was an "easy decision".

Perez said: "Staying with Force India was always my priority".

The announcement was made ahead of Sunday's Singapore Grand Prix with the Silverstone squad revealing Perez will continue with them for a fifth successive season in 2018.

Sergio Perez will remain at Force India for the 2018 Formula 1 world championship to see an unchanged line-up at the team for next year.

The Mexican was out of contract at the end of the year and understood to have been in talks with Renault as well as Williams, but has opted to remain at Force India after scoring four podiums over the past four seasons.

This led to Force India's chief operating officer Otmar Szafnauer issuing an ultimatum that team orders would be imposed if they didn't improve their relationship, which they both publicly agreed to do at the Italian GP two weeks ago.

Perez has seven F1 podiums in his career, four with Force India and the other three all during a breakthrough season with Sauber in 2012 that earned him a move to McLaren in 2013. "The team have allowed me to show my talents as a driver and I feel very happy here".

"Sergio has played an important role in our success story over the last few years. Since joining us in 2014, he has matured to become one of the quickest and most consistent drivers on the grid", said Force India team principal and managing director Vijay Mallya.

"The team has done an unbelievable job this year to develop the auto and establish our position as the fourth-best team in Formula 1".

"Alongside Esteban, retaining Sergio gives us stability going into next season and one of the most exciting driver pairings in Formula 1", he added.