Town hall by former Malaysian PM Mahathir Mohamad marred by violence

Is this a prelude to a suspension of the 14GE asks Zaid Ibrahim

Is this a prelude to a suspension of the 14GE asks Zaid Ibrahim

A mass brawl was sparked off after security members were forced to retaliate.

Mahathir was safely escorted out of the hall.

"Whether he (Anwar) is going to be the prime minister or not, the decision is not for me to make".

No police officers were seen during the fracas. A Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) leader said today the party proceeded to hold the "Nothing to Hide 2.0" forum, despite being tipped off about potential trouble as its chairman Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad was not afraid to confront his critics.

Most of the suspects appeared to be youths in their early 20s.

"We haven't decided what to charge them with yet, because no one has yet to lodge a police report", Shafien said, adding that no serious injuries were reported in the incident.

It happened shortly after an audience asked the former premier about Memali incident in Kedah in 1985, and whether Dr Mahathir took responsibility of the incident which saw 18 including four policemen killed.

"They (protesters) only used knives and sharpened bamboos Tun? What the police did was proportionate with the threat, it was their SOP".

They also set off flares during the short outburst of violence in the community hall where the event took place, with video footage showing the room filling with smoke.

Three suspects have been arrested in relation to the incident.

PPBM youth chief Syed Saddiq Abdul Rahman, addressing the media later, said they were confident that the chaos was premeditated and called for the police to take stern action against the assailants, including those from his own party if they had resorted to violence.

"There was definitely an element of sabotage and also an attempt to hurt Tun Dr Mahathir because... the bottles, shoes and later flares were thrown not to the sides or back, but to the front towards Tun Dr Mahathir", he said.