Somalia: Former Al-Shabaab deputy leader surrenders to Govt forces

Somalia: Former Al-Shabaab deputy leader surrenders to Govt forces

Somalia: Former Al-Shabaab deputy leader surrenders to Govt forces

However, the South West state of Somalia said on Saturday that it provided a military support to former defected leader from Al-Shabaab.

Mr Nurow told the media that Abu Mansoor is now with the Somali National Army (SNA) and the local ISWA forces at Hudur District, the capital of Bakol region, 420 km southwest of Mogadishu.

Robow, who was the deputy director of al-Shabab, is the highest official to have ever quit the group.

Earlier this week, Robow lost at least 19 of his fighters to al-Shabab, our correspondent said.

Robow had fallen out with the al-Shabab leadership, which has been carrying out a purge of its ranks.

The surrender of Sheikh Mukhtar Robow Abu Mansuur follows after The U.S. State Department in consultation with the Federal Government of Somalia removed from Rewards for Justice Listing, which angered the Shabab.

Al Shabaab fell out with its former spokesman and deputy leader Robow in 2013 and he has been laying low in the jungles with his forces since then.

Al-Shabab had launched multiple attacks to try kill or capture him.

It was not immediately clear what would now happen to Robow, but residents and an analyst were doubtful over the impact of the move.

Mohamed Aden, a history lecturer at a Mogadishu university, said: "If criminals are not taken to court, then there will be no peace".

Al-Shabab previous year was named the deadliest armed group in Africa, with more than 4,200 people killed in 2016, according to the Washington, DC-based Africa Center for Strategic Studies.

- A renegade leader of Somalia's Islamic extremist insurgents, al-Shabab, has surrendered to the government.

Al-Shabab also faces a new military push from the United States after President Donald Trump approved expanded operations, including air strikes. They have also since lost almost all other territory they previously controlled after an offensive by Somali government troops and African Union-mandated AMISOM peacekeepers.