Danish submarine owner accused of causing Swedish journalist's death

Danish submarine owner arrested over journalist's death

Danish submarine owner arrested over journalist's death

Peter Madsen, 46, denies the killing, saying he had dropped the woman off in Copenhagen before the sinking.

Police are hunting for witnesses and camera footage to determine whether the missing woman had disembarked after setting off.

But Madsen says he returned Ms Wall to land at 10.30pm on Thursday and has denied any involvement in her disappearance.

The submarine is lying in 7ft of water, but divers have not been able to enter it safely yet, police said.

FILE - This is a April 30 2008 file photo of submarine owner Peter Madsen.

"I am fine, but sad because Nautilus went down", he told TV 2.

The ballast tank is a compartment that holds water, which is used as ballast to provide stability for a vessel. "But I guess that was pretty good, because I otherwise still would have been down there".

"A radio contact was established for the boat, which, according to the owner, was heading towards the harbor", the police statement said.

Madsen escaped from the submarine as it sank and was rescued by a private boat.

A search for the missing submarine was launched after Ms Wall's boyfriend raised the alarm.

"He told us that the journalist who also had been on board had been dropped off Thursday evening", navy spokesman Anders Damgaard said. The navy says that the 40-ton, almost 18-meter-long (60-foot-long) submarine with at least two people on board had been "found sailing" south of Copenhagen.

However, when she failed to return home later that day, her anxious boyfriend contacted the authorities, which led to a full-scale search for the submarine in the early hours. Two helicopters and three ships combed the sea from Copenhagen to the Baltic Sea island of Bornholm. The Navy said that the sub had been spotted sailing but then sank shortly afterward.

He appeared in court on Saturday, where a judge detained him for 24 days while police investigate the disappearance of the 30-year-old Swedish freelance journalist, who had written for publications including the New York Times, The Guardian, the South China Morning Post and Vice Magazine.