Notorious Moors Murderer Ian Brady dies in United Kingdom hospital

Hindley died in 2002.

An inquest into his death is due to be opened at Southport Town Hall later.

Moors Murderer Ian Brady has died, taking with him the location of one of his victim's bodies. His brother Alan Bennett, writing on Facebook, said: "Thank you to everyone for your honest words and thoughts".

Brady was kept at the Ashworth mental hospital, Merseyside in a secure unit for the last of his days, though it is understood that although his mental health was deteriorating, he was still sharp and bright for his 79 years.

He said: "It was obvious that the end was fairly close". I went to see him and spent a few hours with him.

The killings began on 12 July 1963 when Hindley lured Pauline Reade into her auto as the 16-year-old walked to a dance at a railwaymen's club in Manchester.

Her mother, Joan, died in 2000 after having never got over the pain of losing Pauline, relatives have said.

He described coverage of the search for Keith's body as a "frenzy".

Police and government officials are hoping the coded letters will help them find the body of 11-year-old Keith Bennett, from Manchester, who went missing in June 1964.

They were caught when Hindley's brother-in-law tipped off police, according to reports.

In October 1965 Brady axed to death 17-year-old Edward Evans, a stranger who he had met earlier that evening in a local pub. The thoughts of everyone within Greater Manchester Police are with the families who lost loved ones in the most painful and traumatic way.

He said: "I have no legal means of making that an order, but I believe it is right and proper, the correct moral judgement to make".

He left Glasgow at 16 and moved to live with his natural mother in Manchester after getting in trouble with the law, and assumed his stepfather's name.

"[The police] were trying, I think, to implore Brady at this very late stage to pass on any information or documents to them so they could carry out a meaningful search of the moors", Bennett family lawyer John Ainley told "Good Morning Britain". Only two of the hundreds of letters the murderous couple shared have been made public, amid fears the revelations would traumatise the family members of the Moors Murders five victims.

He said: "I would like an assurance before I do so that first of all the person who asked to take over responsibility for that funeral has a funeral director willing to deal with the funeral and that he has a crematorium willing and able to cremate Mr Stewart-Brady's body".

Police found photographs of the naked 10-year-old, along with tape recordings of her final moments pleading for her life as she was brutally abused.

Brady had been on successive hunger strikes since 1999, arguing he should be allowed to die, but had been force-fed because he was considered mentally ill.

Coroner's officer Alby Howard-Murphy said Brady's cause of death was chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and cor pulmonale, a condition that causes the right side of the heart to fail.

Brady was not found dead in his room, its spokesman said, but he was unable to confirm if anyone was with him when he died, adding: "Quite possibly".