The electric auto maker said about 2% of the 53,000 vehicles built from February to October 2016 were affected, but all of those cars are being recalled.
Even though it's only a year old, the Tesla Model X actually has the highest complaint rate of all the models we studied that are now in production, at 27.9 complaints per 1,000 cars.
"In order to be overly cautious, we are going to be proactively replacing these parts to ensure that no issues arise", the company said. The company says that less than 5 percent cars are likely to actually have been affected by the problem however, considering the extreme difficulty in testing each individual auto, it decided that a recall was actually the best option.
The automaker says it hasn't received any reports of accidents or injuries and there are no worries about the parking brakes failing to hold vehicles. The company has said that the recall will include a routine replacement of the brake system.
The recall covers about 63% of the roughly 84,000 vehicles Tesla manufactured in 2016.
The company announced the recall overnight in the U.S., issuing a statement that the problem involved a small gear from a third-party supplier.
Tesla will build 14 supercharger stations in Korea within this year, eight more than what was initially scheduled when the USA electric carmaker opened its Korean showroom in March. Only a "very small percentage" of gears were manufactured improperly, the company said. Tesla believes only 2 percent of the cars being recalled contain the faulty gear as it occurred due to a manufacturing fault.
Tesla also recalled 90,000 Model S cars because of a single report of a seat belt not being properly connected in 2015, noted Bloomberg. The recall, which affected 439 cars, reported possible issues on its 12v low voltage auxiliary cable.
According to the Tesla executive, one supercharger station will be able to handle six to eight vehicles at once. It admitted it is hard to tell which vehicles exactly are affected, and hence it made a decision to recall a lot more out of caution.
How long will it take to service and replace the part?
- 'He's Not Stopping!' Car Dragged Along Freeway by Truck for Miles
- $25 Million in Federal Funding Coming to Combat NY Opioid Addiction
- Liberum Capital Indicates Potential -21.61% Decrease In Shares Of Rio Tinto PLC
- Estados Unidos prepararía cargos para lograr captura de Assange
- Ivanka Trump will donate book proceeds to charity
- Supreme Court blocks Arkansas execution in victory for death penalty opponents
- Canciller Rodíguez sostuvo reunión con secretaria de la AEC
- AmEx profit beats as higher spending blunts partnership losses
- UN strongly condemns North Korean missile launch after delay
- Canadians to buy British engineer rival WS Atkins in £2bn deal