Samsung's sales alone make up a fifth of South Korea's GDP, and for many young Korean graduates getting a job in a chaebol is the most desirable outcome after years of toiling through a rigorous education system.
Samsung launches its new C series of phablets in India with the C9 Pro in January 2017. Experts estimate Samsung to have earned more than 6 trillion won from chip business in the first quarter, beating 4.95 trillion won profit in the fourth quarter. The figure is higher than the average 9.4 trillion forecast from 18 analysts, according to Reuters.
Four other Samsung executives have also been charged.
Prosecutors believe the 48-year-old billionaire and his aides used Samsung corporate funds to bribe former President Park Geun-hye and her close confidante in exchange for supporting a smooth leadership transition at Samsung.
Lee's lawyers have previously denied all charges brought against Lee.
One of the favours Lee allegedly sought from president Park was state approval for a controversial merger of two Samsung units in 2015, seen as a key step to ensure a smooth transfer of power to him.
Some researchers forecast the S8, which sports the largest screens for Samsung high-end smartphones to date, would set a new first-year sales record.
In the face of all of this bad press, the public doesn't seem to have changed their mind on Samsung, and consumers remain loyal, share prices actually increased and the company saw a 50% increase in profits over the last 3 months of 2016 as well as the first three of 2017.
Industry watchers, however, said Samsung's strong performance in chip sales is forecast to have helped improve its bottom line. Samsung Group's de facto leader appeared in court on Friday after his arrest seven weeks ago on charges including bribery, embezzlement, perjury, diverting assets overseas and concealing gains from a criminal act.
Galaxy Note 7 preorders hit 400,000 units from August 6 to 18 past year.
- Match Previews: West Ham United v Everton
- Soyuz space capsule carrying American, Russian blasts off
- United States existing home sales hit 10-year high in March
- Karim Cheurfi identified as real name of shooter in Paris attack
- Irving shines as Cavs take grip on Pacers
- Pep Guardiola: I identified Manchester City's issues in August
- Turkey: Main Opposition party files for referendum annulment
- Jesus in contention for City comeback at Wembley
- Euro, stocks rise ahead of French election; bonds fall
- Lawyer: Fox Launching Investigation Into Harassment Claim Against Bill O'Reilly