"But what we showed in this study of hypertensive older adults was that, as compared to exercise alone, adding a beetroot juice supplement to exercise resulted in brain connectivity that closely resembles what you see in younger adults".
When you exercise, the brain's somatomotor cortex, which processes information from the muscles, sorts out the cues coming in from the body.
Previous research has shown levels of nitrite in the blood are increased by eating root vegetables high in nitrate, which also include carrots and potatoes.
This is the first experiment to test the combined effects of exercise and beetroot juice on functional brain networks in the motor cortex and secondary connections between the motor cortex and the insula, which support mobility, Rejeski said.
Scientists have published findings of a new study in the Journals of Gerontology: Medical Sciences wherein they have mentioned the benefits of beetroot juice and how it could help brain of older adults perform more efficiently. Three times a week, they drank Beet-It Sport Shot - a beet root juice supplement - one hour before a 50-minute walk on the treadmill. Half of the participants received a dose of the juice containing 560 mg nitrate and the others received a placebo with minimal nitrate, a chemical found naturally in beets.
New research has found that it may be possible to bolster these effects, simply by drinking beetroot juice before exercising.
Beets contain a high level of dietary nitrate, which is converted to nitrite and then nitric oxide (NO) when consumed.
Researchers said, nitric oxide increases blood flow in the body, and multiple studies have shown it can improve exercise performance in people of various ages. "It goes to the areas of the body which are hypoxic, or needing oxygen, and the brain is a heavy feeder of oxygen in your body", says Rejeski.
The research the latest in a series of findings concerning the effects of beetroot on health. Analysis by Petrie and her team showed that after exercise, the beetroot juice group had much higher levels of nitrate and levels of brain connectivity that mirrored much younger people.
Beets are a common sweetening ingredient in the juices you'll find at most health food stores, but a recent study found another reason to drink the bright red juice: It has anti-aging benefits.
- BP's leaking Alaska well stops spraying crude oil, still emitting gas
- Masivas protestas contra Maduro elevan presión internacional — Crisis en Venezuela
- Georgetown University renames buildings for enslaved people
- Detenido por corrupción expresidente de la Comunidad de Madrid Ignacio González
- Bradley Cooper dirigirá a Lady Gaga en A Star is born
- 'GTA 5 Online' In-Game 4/20 Deals, New Game Mode Announced
- Some veterans may go to 'MinuteClinics' for minor illnesses
- Swedish cops: Terror truck driver known to authorities
- Mejor no pongan a prueba la determinación de Trump
- Argentina condena ataques contra iglesias coptas en Egipto