But, of course, he does.
Chaffetz says he has "no ulterior motives", and is healthy and confident he would re-elected.
"I'm not going to be here forever".
Chaffetz's staff in Washington, D.C., and in Utah did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
"I think there is a little uncertainty as to what the process is because we have not done it before", the governor said Thursday at his monthly news conference on KUED.
"This is a signal that anyone who's cozying up and enabling Donald Trump and his extreme agenda is feeling incredible pressure, and Rep. Chaffetz didn't like that pressure", he said.
But, if he ran, Chaffetz would have won re-election in another landslide and whomever the Republican Party puts on the ballot - whether it's Provo Mayor John Curtis or state Sen.
That included people like Republican House Speaker Greg Hughes who expressed what became a similar refrain among lawmakers.
"After more than 1,500 nights away from my home, it is time", Chaffetz wrote.
Then there is the Trump complication. Donald Trump won the district by 24 points but only got 47% of the vote, in part because Evan McMullin ran an independent campaign focused nearly entirely on Utah.
The popular Congressman was involved in Utah politics for many years before winning the state's House seat.
Chaffetz has been more visible than most colleagues as chairman since 2015 of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, a post considered critical for government transparency and accountability.
Share your reactions to this story with me - is Chaffetz right to move on? "Does Chaffetz use the House Oversight spot to go after Trump and burn bridges with the White House and in Congress, or does he play lapdog and end up wrecking his chances for what he really wants and that's governor in 2020?"
Half of the voters are registered Republicans in Chaffetz' 3rd congressional district, which stretches from suburban Salt Lake City to desert towns in southeastern Utah and includes heavily conservative Mormon areas.
- US Crude Stocks Dip, But Gasoline Inventories Rise
- Trump blasts 'New York Times' over Patriots photo flap
- Drinking beetroot juice before exercise boosts brain performance
- French presidential hopefuls wrap up campaigns in tight race
- Detenido por corrupción expresidente de la Comunidad de Madrid Ignacio González
- Sadio Mané Named to PFA Team of the Year
- Health Care Compromise Circulates As Congress Prepares to Return
- Bechtel replaces CH2M on HS2 second phase
- Federal Bureau of Investigation puts Indian who killed his wife on its 'Most Wanted List'
- Javiera Parada: "Yo no voy a renunciar a Revolución Democrática"