Harry Redknapp says he is open to extending his shock return to management at Birmingham City beyond the end of this season.
Redknapp's brief does not now extend beyond ensuring safety, but if he can achieve that, next season is an enticing prospect for the former West Ham, Portsmouth and Tottenham boss.
Redknapp replaces Gianfranco Zola, who resigned in the aftermath of Teusday's (AEST) 2-0 defeat to Burton Albion after just two wins in his 24 games in charge of the Championship side.
Redknapp, with his 34 years of managerial experience, has subsequently been chosen to rescue them from potential relegation, with Birmingham set to face Midlands rivals Aston Villa this weekend.
The club confirms the appointment of Redknapp who is the oldest manager in the EFL at the age of 70.
Zola's resignation was announced on the club's Twitter feed.
He previously led QPR to promotion from the Championship via the play-offs in 2014, and Portsmouth as league winners in 2003. "I'm not going to turn them into Real Madrid". I haven't got a magic wand.
Redknapp has guided teams to the promised land of the Premier League on two occasions and Birmingham fans will be hopeful his nous can help their side get over the line.
Redknapp's last job in English football came at Derby last season, when he worked as a football advisor alongside then-manager Darren Wassall. If I feel I can not help the players, why stay? We knew we required a result and the way we went about it was full of character and honesty, which the players have in abundance.
"I've gone in there, said I will come and do it". For sure I could stay, keeping them up is the key to it all, we have to make sure we stay in the league next year.
- Cavaliers overcome deficit to go up 3-0
- Korea calls on UN Secretariat to hold forum on Security Council resolutions
- North Korea tensions seen in propaganda, miscommunication
- China signs over 130 transport pacts with Belt and Road countries
- Confirman segunda muerte en Venezuela por protestas de la oposición
- 'Guardians' Sequel a New Mixtape of Galaxy Saving
- Ahora también por corrupción, renuncian a Olivetti Paredes del INJEO
- Spray from Saturn's moon suggests it could support life
- Warriors' Durant (calf) won't play in Game 2
- Pound surge suggests UK election will yield smoother Brexit