Head coach Mike Riley announced the decision Wednesday night on Twitter, saying he met with the quarterbacks on the roster and explained the importance of defining a starter. "That talented group will continue to push each other and provide a bright future".
On Saturday, before the decision was known, Lee said that Riley has been around this game a long time and he trusted whatever decision that was made by the coach. "I don't know that there's any magic to it, but I do know that we did not want to carry it out into fall camp".
Lee finished the spring game last Saturday throwing for 190 yards and three touchdowns on 13 completions in 19 attempts. I'm excited for that.
"Tanner won the job, but he won it with great competition from Patrick O'Brien and great work from the next guy, Tristan Gebbia", Riley said. "We're going to be supportive of each other in everything we do. If it doesn't, obviously I'm going to be disappointed, but I just have to control what I can control". "We feel like the Husker quarterback position is in good hands right now, and those guys made it a tough decision". "I really think we're focused on what's best for the entire team".
Both had solid performances in the Red-White Spring Game.
"I didn't really want to start fall camp making that the story. It's not my decision, but either way I'm just going to keep working hard", said O'Brien, who continued with what he needed to work on. "It was always a good, healthy room, and the camaraderie within that position has been good, even in the midst of strong competition". Neither of the top two quarterbacks threw an interception in the season's final practice.
- Todo lo que necesita saber sobre el sorteo de las semifinales — Champions
- Washington unemployment rate drops to 4.7 percent
- McDonald's applauds crew members who recognized man wanted in Facebook video killing
- Omaha is 2020 site for NCAA events in basketball, volleyball
- United Airlines changes boarding rules
- Michigan Selected to Host Seven NCAA Events
- Support grows for family of Facebook murder victim
- President Trump welcomes New England Patriots
- The Fate of the Furious overtakes Star Wars with $700m debut
- Man carries brother's dead body on bicycle: Sonowal orders probe