United CEO says no one will be fired for dragging incident

United President Scott Kirby said that "it's really too early for us to tell anything about bookings", while noting that the company's April-June financial forecast had not changed.

"Passengers should have the peace of mind to know they will not be dragged off a plane once they're in their seat", the Panama City Republican said in a news release. He said he has no plans to leave his post.

Despite last week's disaster, in which a bloodied passenger got forcibly dragged off a flight, United Continental CEO Oscar Munoz said Tuesday there are now no plans to fire anyone at the company. As part of that, United will no longer use law enforcement to remove paid passengers from flights if they're not a security risk.

Asked whether United might curb the practice of overbooking, executives demurred, saying that that the recent incident and its causes were still under review.

"We feel like we've managed that pretty well and our corporate accounts are largely supportive", Kirby said.

The embarrassing incident went viral and quickly got out of control. United offered them a discounted rate at a hotel for Saturday night and rebooked them for a Sunday morning flight.

It is unclear whether last week's incident in which Chicago airport officers dragged a 69-year-old man off a United Express plane will halt United's progress.

A bride and groom headed for their wedding were booted from a United Airlines flight here after they relocated to empty seats three rows up without permission, the latest public relations headache for the major American company. Dao's attorney said the doctor suffered a concussion, a broken nose and lost two front teeth. Dao is originally from Vietnam. "He will need surgery", said his lawyer, Thomas Demetrio, who revealed that Tao will probably sue the airline.

Illinois State House Representative Peter Breen (R-IL) introduced the bill, which would prevent the state from dealing with airlines that allow passengers to be forcibly removed and also protects from prosecution those passengers who refuse to give up their seats.

Munoz said he will travel to China "in a couple weeks to have further conversations with customers and related governmental officials". Back in December, the analyst had called United Continental the "most compelling stock" in the airline sector.

Munoz pledged to make "policy changes to ensure this never happens again" and to communicate any actions by April 30. Previously, crews could be booked up until the time of departure, Schmerin, the spokeswoman, said. It also said airline employees will have to book seats at least an hour in advance, to avoid bumping passengers already on board the aircraft.