Hon. Jumoke Akindele has resigned as the Speaker of the Ondo State House of Assembly.
The officers stated in the letter that, "We the undersigned hereby resign our position as principal officers of this August House".
Briefing newsmen after the sitting, spokesman of the house, Ironju Ogundeji stressed that the assembly complex was opened for sitting following the intervention of the governor in reconciling the two factions.
The letter of resignation of the principal officers was officially received this morning (Monday) by Governor Rotimi Akeredolu.
During his speech, Akeredolu recognised and greeted eminent personalities in the hall, including Coker, who he allegedly addressed as Mr. Speaker. The alleged action of the governor did not go down well with the faction of the embattled speaker, Akindele.
Other principal officers did same.
"Our resignation has become imperative due to the fact of the new geopolitical configuration of the state, so that peace which is the hallmark of any administration will continue to reign in the land".
Mr. Coker, elected on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, was invited to the ceremony as speaker of the house despite the unresolved issues.
Mr. Akindiose also noted that his group viewed it as a suspicious plan to take advantage of the withdrawal of the court case, averring that they were in disagreement with a plot to subvert the constituted authority of an arm of the government.
Both factions have been laying claim to the speakership of the Assembly and unable to agree on who to actually preside at the plenary.
They also appointed Ayodeji Arowole as the new Deputy Speaker and Olamide George as the Majority Leader of the crisis ridden Assembly.
He maintained that a disciplinary committee had been set up to look into the allegation of fraud against the Assembly's former principal officers.
- Tottenham Hotspur vs Southampton Live Stream Score Commentary in Premier League 2017
- Multicultural Australia: United, Strong, Successful
- These 11 questions remain after hearing on Russian meddling
- Russian Federation will strike U.S. elections again, Federal Bureau of Investigation warns
- Tesla Model S 60 Made To Walk The Plank
- President Trump should welcome FBI investigation
- Quinton Patton visits Jets
- Zach Johnson incredibly banked in a birdie off another golfer's ball
- The Week Ahead: Will the Fed Follow Up on Rate Increases?
- Banning Lewis Ranch Academy closed after teacher dies in skiing accident