He had "no history of depression, anxiety, any psychological break down at all, so he was a very young, happy young man", said his father, Ibrahima Keita.
The Snohomish County medical examiner initially concluded that the 18-year-old had taken his own life, but Keita's family said the evidence didn't add up. Six weeks went by in between Keita's disappearance - he went missing without personal items such as his cell phone, vehicle or wallet - and his body being found, weeks after search and rescue combed the area.
The change, which was published by the medical examiner on Tuesday, is due to circumstances surrounding the teen's death.
A K-9 search was conducted in the area weeks earlier in which no trace of the body could be found.
Keita was found hanging from a rope tied to a tree 50-feet high.
The Washington state chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations is calling for the FBI to investigate the death of a Muslim teenager who was discovered hanging from a tree.
A Lake Stevens family is asking the FBI to investigate the death of their teenage son. "This is the death of an African-American Muslim male teenager, and historically, we have had deaths in this manner to minorities that were not self-inflicted - it had been inflicted by others".
Keita, 18, was found dead on January 9 in a wooded area near Lake Stevens. "He was already in the Running Start program at Everett Community College and he was dreaming of becoming a medical doctor and work as a medical examiner".
"We want to make sure that the expertise, the experience, and the human resources of the Federal Bureau of Investigation are brought in to make sure that everything is comprehensively investigated, no stone is left unturned and we really want to get answers about what may have happened", Arsalan Bukhari of CAIR-Washington said.
"Today we are careful not to rush to judgment", said the Rev. Kele Brown, of the Plymouth Congregational Church in Seattle, at the press conference.
- TI and Tiny to document divorce on reality show
- Chicago Justice, Fire, and PD crossover gets personal in sneak peek
- Abby Lee Miller Heading to Mexico After Second Sentencing Moved to May
- Juan Vidal sobre imágenes al desnudo: "sí son fotos mías"
- Grana y Montero SAA (GRAM) Downgraded by JP Morgan Chase & Co
- Comedian John Caparulo Hit With Glass During Stand-Up Show After Trump Joke
- Power outages in the Local 6 area
- El gesto viral de Ryan Gosling durante la entrega del Oscar
- Dramatic aerial photos show extensive damage to California's Oroville Dam spillway
- Conciertos de Metallica en CDMX arrancan hoy. Con Ciro Gómez Leyva