An earthen dam failed north of Montello, sending water down Thousand Springs Creek and flooding buildings at the Gamble Ranch.
The weather service stated there were reports of at least 2 to 3 feet of water rapidly moving downstream Wednesday night.
The rural area affected is situated is near the Utah border and about 30 miles northeast of Wells, a key Nevada city along Interstate 80. "This reservoir has the potential to over top and could result in additional flooding downstream", stated a weather service warning posted at 3 p.m.
The flash-flood warning was extended into Thursday as water continues to pour out of that breached dam.
Significant flash flooding was reported in Montello and the authorities have closed State Route 233 from Interstate 80 at Oasis to Montello.
Elko County Sheriff Jim Pitts said that basements have been flooded in Montello.
The agency advised people in the area to take immediate action and move to higher ground, calling it a risky and life-threatening situation.
- 'Star Wars: The Last Jedi' News: Hayden Christensen To Return As Anakin?
- El mensaje antirracista de Rafa Márquez en suelo norteamericano
- 'Survivor' Season 34 Cast Announced: Meet the 'Game Changers - Mamanuca Islands' players
- "Sabemos que Emelec es uno de los mejores de Ecuador" — David Villa
- Will Sandstorm Gold Ltd. (NYSEMKT:SAND) be Surging after Earnings Report?
- Top Performer of the day: Omega Healthcare Investors Inc. (NYSE:OHI)
- Así será el último modelo del Nissan Tsuru
- Super Bowl 2018: Date, Location, Tickets For The Next NFL Championship Game
- Super Bowl Halftime Show 2016: Twitter Reacts To Lady Gaga
- NBC made the wrong decision on Tamron Hall